- 1 Causes of Vaginal Odor or smelly Vagina
- 2 Home Remedies for How to Get Rid of Smelly Vagina Naturally Fast
- 2.1 How to get rid of smelly vagina using Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2.2 How to Get Rid of Smelly Vagina Using Baking Soda
- 2.3 How to Get Rid of Smelly Vagina Using Yogurt
- 2.4 How to Get Rid of Smelly Vagina using White Vinegar
- 2.5 Tea Tree Oil
- 2.6 How to Get Rid of Smelly Vagina using Garlic
- 2.7 Fenugreek
- 2.8 Indian Gooseberry to Get Rid of Smelly Vagina
- 2.9 Neem
- 2.10 How to Get Rid of Smelly Vagina Using Citrus Fruits
- 3 How to Ensure That Your Vagina Will Smell Good
- 4 Symptoms related to smelly vagina
Smelly vagina is never discussed but yes it can even lead to break ups if your guy is sensitive. A strong odor down there can make him run away. Very bad vaginal odor, smelly vaginal discharge after period or fishy vag smell may be as a result of bacterial, vaginal thrush or other several factors listed below.
Bad vagina smell is a subject that is not only embarrassing to discuss for most women, but it can be embarrassing to live with. Below are causes, how to get rid of vag smell fast at home using home remedies.
In many cases, smelly vagina is a condition brought about by a yeast infection. A healthy vagina is vital for your overall health, healthy marriage, and healthy births, and a smelly vagina is an indication that there could be an underlying health issue that has not been diagnosed.
How a smelly vagina affects the self-esteem of a woman is another side effect altogether, not forgetting how it can affect her relationship with her partner, given the impact that a smelly vagina will have on their marital life.
Even though many factors can cause vaginal odor, you will find that it can easily be resolved using home remedies. But, where does this vaginal odor come from, what is it, and how can you get rid of smelly vagina?
Vaginal odor can be defined as an odor originating from inside the vagina. It is common for the vagina to have some sort of odor given that it acts as an opening to the body interior: however, a severe smell may be an indication that there is a bigger problem at play.
Often, abnormal vaginal discharge gets associated with other signs and symptoms from the vagina that include irritation, burning, or itching. In many cases, there is a vaginal discharge and odor accompanying this at the same time.
Causes of Vaginal Odor or smelly Vagina
Before we look at how to get rid of smelly vagina, let us first look at what causes a smelly vagina. A problematic vaginal odor is mainly combined with additional symptoms such as vaginal discharge, burning, or irritation.
Therefore, if you have a smelly vagina, which is not accompanied by some of these vaginal symptoms, it means that it is unlikely for your vaginal odor to be abnormal.
Vaginal Yeast infections, Chlamydia, and gonorrhea infections do not normally cause a smelly vagina—nevertheless; let us look at the possible causes of vaginal odor.
1. Bacterial Vaginosis
Bacterial Vaginosis is the most widespread basis of vaginal odor. It is as a result of an overgrowth of the normal occurring vaginal bacteria. The bacteria has a high recurrence rate and affects close to thirty percent of women when they are in their reproductive years.
It is mainly associated with a preterm birth, miscarriage, and an increased risk of acquiring an STI. A fishy odor is the main indication of having bacterial Vaginosis.
Although this condition is still being studied, preliminary studies show that frequent douching, and having unprotected sexual intercourse may put one at risk of getting bacterial Vaginosis.
This is another normal cause of a vaginal discharge, which also happens to be a sexually transmitted disease.
It has come to be known as the most common non-viral STI globally. The STI is caused by a parasite, which can cause a genital itching, painful urination, and a foul-smelling vaginal discharge,
Though men can have this condition as well, they do not manifest any symptoms.
The condition can affect expectant women, which would place them at a higher risk of delivering their babies early. In case you suspect that you have this infection, you and your partner should seek treatment as soon as possible.
To help reduce the risk of infection, it is recommended that you properly use condoms each time you want to have sex.
3. Hormonal Changes
According to studies carried out by the University of California, vaginal secretions during your menstrual cycle, and the period between ovulation and your next cycle may have an odor that is more pleasant, than during other sections of your menstrual cycle.
For instance, menopause is a potential hormonal cause because of the low estrogen levels, which cause the vaginal tissue to become thin, and less acidic.
As such, many women who are undergoing menopause may start noticing a smelly, discharge that is watery from their vaginas.
4. Poor Hygiene and Sweating
For a woman, it should not come as a surprise to realize that poor hygiene is one of the most widespread causes of a smelly vagina.
A groin area that is sweaty will obviously produce this very embarrassing smell. Though it seems obvious, the reason for this is mainly because the external genitals contain special glands known as the apocrine sweat glands.
The glands will frequently secrete a fluid that is oily, and which is metabolized by the bacteria present on your skin, leading to the production of the smell, which is very noticeable.
5. Retained or Forgotten Tampon
Although this falls into the above category of poor hygiene and may seem bizarre, it is more common that you know,
For you to take proper care of yourself, awareness will be very crucial. It is important to understand that the buildup of bacteria and menstrual blood may lead to itching, irritation, and the presence of a strong, and unpleasant smelling discharge.
In case you find yourself in such a predicament, you should know that your gynecologist can safely remove the tampon, and if there is any infection present, it can be treated as well.
6. Could It Be Something That You Ate
Certain foods could also cause a smelly vagina. One odor that is highly recognizable is the one that comes from nutrient rich asparagus.
It is good to realize that what you consume at dinner could affect the smell coming from your vagina, in the same manner, it affects other body parts such as the mouth, feet, scalp, and your armpits.
According to Dr. Axe, foods that have strong scents, such as garlic, blue cheese, asparagus, broccoli, and fish often have the greatest impact. If you have a feeling that the smelly vagina is being caused by your food intake, you can eliminate the food, and check to see whether this odor will disappear.
Home Remedies for How to Get Rid of Smelly Vagina Naturally Fast
A smelly vagina is a common problem that a majority of women have to deal with at one point in their lives. The vaginal odor can be caused by reasons such as yeast infections, hormonal changes, bacterial growth, and sexually transmitted infections.
If the smelly vagina problem is as a result of having an infection, you will find symptoms such as irritation, itching, redness, and burning in your vagina region.
If there is a fishy odor coming from the vagina, this is caused by bacterial Vaginosis. No matter the cause of the smelly vagina, an odor coming from your vagina can be very upsetting to you and your partner.
The following natural remedies can help in getting rid of the unwanted vaginal odor.
How to get rid of smelly vagina using Apple Cider Vinegar
How to get rid of smelly vagina using Apple cider vinegar – when used as a natural home remedy, contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties. It will, therefore, be ideal for use in dealing with vaginal odor. In fact, it has been seen that taking a bath with the home remedy is a great way for you to eliminate the vaginal odor.
The apple cider vinegar will be vital in helping eliminate toxins, and bacteria, which has been known to cause the smelly vagina. When used regularly, it may also come in handy in helping restore the acidic quality of your vaginal flora.
- Take some warm bath water and add two cups of apple cider vinegar
- Soak your nether regions in the apple cider vinegar mixture for at least twenty minutes
- Try and follow this remedy daily, for a few weeks and begin seeing the results
- Alternatively, you could also choose to drink one glass of water, which has been combined with two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
How to Get Rid of Smelly Vagina Using Baking Soda
How to get rid of smelly vagina using baking soda – This is another ingredient available at home and which can be used in balancing your body pH levels. When your pH level is in balance, you will find that the problem with your vaginal odor will start to go away.
- When preparing your bath water, add a single cup of baking soda to it
- Place your lower body into the bath water for at least twenty minutes
- Use a sanitary wipe to thoroughly dry your body
- The baking soda home remedy is ideal for fighting yeast infections and is vital in helping ensure that the odor goes away fast
How to Get Rid of Smelly Vagina Using Yogurt
How to get rid of smelly vagina using Yogurt – is another great home remedy that can be used in treating a smelly vagina. Yogurts are rich in a bacteria called lactobacillus.
The bacteria is helpful in fighting a Candida infection. Candida infection is one of the most common causes of a smelly vagina.
It also helps in restoring the pH levels in your vagina. Once the pH levels are balanced, the vaginal odor will automatically disappear.
- Drink three cups of plain and unsweetened yogurt each day
- Alternatively, you could also consume probiotic supplements
- Another great option will be to soak your tampon in plain yogurt before you insert it into your body.
- Let the tampon stay inside your vagina for a few hours before rinsing this area, after you have removed the tampon.
How to Get Rid of Smelly Vagina using White Vinegar
White vinegar is vital in eliminating vaginal odors as it helps break down the odor proteins. Also known as the white vinegar rinse, it helps in eliminating the smelly vagina odor by helping restore the pH levels of your private parts
- Prepare lukewarm bath water and add a half cup of white vinegar and salt
- Soak your body in the bath water each morning for a few minutes
- Try to follow this home remedy a few times each week when bathing.
Tea Tree Oil
This is a natural home remedy containing antiseptic and antifungal properties, which helps in getting rid of the smelly vagina.
It does away with the bacteria, which is the main cause of the vaginal odor
- Measure one cup of water
- Add three drops of this oil to the water
- The solution you make should be used to rinse your vaginal area a few times each week
- Alternatively, you could dip a tampon in some olive oil, before adding a small amount of tea tree oil.
- Take your tampon and insert it into this solution, before leaving it there for at least sixty minutes.
- Try to repeat this procedure a few times each week
How to Get Rid of Smelly Vagina using Garlic
It is a great natural home remedy that could be ideal for dealing with vaginal odor, as well as vaginal infections.
Garlic contains many antifungal properties, which are vital in helping fight yeast infestations, and in getting rid of the harmful bacteria.
- Consume either raw garlic or in its cooked form each day
- You could eat two raw garlic cloves when you are hungry with a full glass of water
- Alternatively, add garlic, or its paste to your salads or dishes
- Another great option will be to place a piece of garlic in your vagina for at least one hour or two.
- Try to repeat this daily or for a few times in the week until you are sure that the problem has gone away.
This is one home remedy that is highly beneficial to ladies. When women consume it daily, it will help in balancing their hormones, and in promoting a regular menstrual cycle.
- You will need to soak two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in a single cup of water each day before heading to bed.
- When you arise in the morning, go on to strain out the seeds and consume the drink when on an empty stomach
- Alternatively, you could take the seeds and use them to prepare herbal tea. For you to prepare this tea, you will need to boil a single teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in one cup water
- Once ready, proceed to strain out the seeds and consume it two times each day
It is important to note that fenugreek seeks could cause skin irritation and diarrhea. Therefore, if you become aware of any side effects, it is recommended that you discontinue its use immediately.
Indian Gooseberry to Get Rid of Smelly Vagina
Also known as Amla, the Indian gooseberry can help eliminate the unpleasant vaginal odor. The gooseberry is like a type of organic cleanser and blood purifier and therefore helps in controlling the infection that may lead to a vaginal odor
Neem contains antiviral and antifungal properties, which are vital in fighting vaginal infections. It also helps in eliminating vaginal odors
- Take a handful of these Neem leaves and boil them in a pan of water
- Strain the leaves and provide them with enough time to cool down
- Having strained the leaves, you will need to use this solution to rinse your vaginal area every day for a few days per week
How to Get Rid of Smelly Vagina Using Citrus Fruits
These fruits can also help in fighting vaginal infections, and more importantly, they could help prevent the occurrence of a vaginal odor.
Citrus fruits happen to be an immune booster and are also rich in vitamins, which helps get rid of toxins that could be present in your body.
When you have a strong immune system, the body is able to fight off any harmful bacteria that could be present, and which could cause vaginal odors.
The fruits are also vital in helping treat urinary tract infections.
How to Ensure That Your Vagina Will Smell Good
Keeping a clean vagina may also be done by simple hygiene procedures and taking care of the vag as required. It is good to avoid tight fitting under garments that may make you sweat and even cause you rush on the vagina with a fishy smell that is a turn of to you and your patner. Below are some tips you may use.
Wear Cotton Underwear and Loose Clothing
Whenever you wear tight clothing, it can restrict the flow of air, which will cause moisture to build up in the vagina.
Wearing loose clothing helps increase the amount of airflow finding its way to your groin area, and thus helps prevent a buildup of moisture. Ensuring that you change your underwear after every twelve hours can also help with this problem.
It will prevent the occurrence of additional bacteria, which may start to collect if this area is left being unsanitary
Change Clothes After Exercising
A sweaty crotch will often leave you smelling and feeling very unpleasant. As soon as you are done exercising, ensure you change the cloths
Sweaty clothes present a perfect breeding ground for bacteria, which in turn causes a smelly vagina.
It may also help if you can wash the groin area before putting on fresh clothes
If Necessary, Lose Weight
Even though this may seem irrelevant, extra weight means your body will sweat more. The extra moisture collecting in your vaginal area will cause bacteria to start forming, and this will lead to a smelly vagina.
You need to choose a healthy lifestyle, which should be characterized by regular exercises, and clean eating
Wearing loose fitting clothes will help ensure that moisture does not collect in your private areas. It is one way to guarantee that you will not end up with a smelly vagina.
Practicing good body hygiene is also vital in making certain that you always smell fresh, and that you will not have to worry about a vaginal odor.
A smelly vagina is typically caused by the inflammation of your vaginal area. Inflammation of this really sensitive area can be caused by poor hygiene, though it is normally brought about by an infection of the vagina, or the area surrounding it.
One common infection that can cause a smelly vagina is the overgrowth of the normal bacteria found in the vagina, which may then cause bacterial vaginosis.
Trichinosis, the sexually transmitted disease may also cause a smelly vagina. However, there are other uncommon causes of vaginal odor, which may include cancers and the presence of an abnormal passageway between your rectum and vagina.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE;
[button color=”red” size=”medium” link=”http://www.cureguide.org/female/pain-during-ovulation-discharge-look-like-stages-egg-white-brown-how-long-does-it-last/” icon=”PAIN DURING OVULATION” target=”true”]PAIN DURING OVULATION[/button]
Below is a video on how to get rid of smelly vagina;